Private individual

Who can join?

The Overseas Social Security is open to you if you work outside the EEA(New window) or Switzerland. In order to join, you need to be:

  • a Belgian national, or
  • a national of a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or
  • a national of another country, but work for the Belgian state, regions or communities, or for a company with its registered office in Belgium.

A note for nationals of an EEA member state or Switzerland (except Belgium)

Are you keeping your residence in an EEA member state or Switzerland (Belgium excepted) while you work as an expat? In that case, you can only join the Belgian Overseas Social Security if your country of residence does not provide its own compulsory social security scheme for expats outside of the EEA and Switzerland.

When are you protected by the Overseas Social Security?

You are insured:

  • while you work in a country outside the EEA or Switzerland, and
  • while you are temporarily (no more than 6 months) seconded from your overseas post with an A1 certificate of Coverage (page in French)(New window) to an EEA country or Switzerland, and
  • during your holidays (all contractual leave immediately following the periods mentioned above), and
  • during a period of no more than 12 months immediately following one of these periods, to the extent that you did not exercise any other gainful activity. Please note that receiving unemployment benefit is considered a gainful activity.

How do you join as an individual?

  1. Complete the form Declaration of individual participation (in French)(.pdf-New window) .
  2. Send this by e-mail to, or by post to the Overseas Social Security, Victor Hortaplein 11, 1060 Brussels.

You can find all forms and documentation on affiliation in the section Documents.

Back to Top