Deferred insurance for medical care: how to be recognized as a dependant person?
To be regarded as a person dependant of the policy holder, and to enjoy the same benefits, the spouse or partner sharing the same household needs to meet certain conditions, and present particular documents as indicated below.
A spouse or partner belonging to the same household needs to meet all following conditions:
- Having an official residence at the same address as the policy holder. This means the spouse or partner belonging to the same household is registered on the same address as the policy holder
- Having a monthly gross income not exceeding € 856.03 on 1 March 2020 (this amount is subject to indexation on a regular basis)
- Not being entitled to any insurance, within a Belgian or non-Belgian legal, regulatory or private scheme, covering medical care expenses (for example provided by Unesco, FAO,…)
Documents to provide
The following documents need to be provided if a spouse or partner belonging to the same household wants to prove he or she is dependant from the policy holder:
- In case you are both residing abroad, please provide:
- a proof of household composition. This certificate needs to be drawn up by the Belgian embassy or a local authority (community, town hall) in case you don’t have the Belgian nationality
- a copy of the most recent tax report from the country of residence, including a copy of the bank statements of the spouse or partner belonging to the same household, stating the income of the month preceding the application
- In case you are both registered in Belgium, please provide:
- a copy of the most recent tax report for natural persons, and
- a copy of the bank statements of the spouse or partner belonging to the same household, stating the income of the month preceding the application
- In case the spouse or partner belonging to the same household previously held a Belgian or non-Belgian insurance covering medical expenses, a statement from the insurance company is required clearly indicating the end date of this insurance policy.
Finally, after approval of imbursement of medical care at the expense of the NSSO, you are obliged to inform the Medical care service of the NSSO about any changes regarding your family situation, professional situation, address, an additional Belgian or non-Belgian pension,…. as your dossier needs to be up-to-date at all times.